Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 35: Fond du Lac, WI to Manitowoc, WI - 57 miles with only 1,350' of climbing








Today we got to sleep-in until 7:00 because we only had 57 miles to ride. The rural Wisconsin scenery coupled with the lightly traveled country roads made today's ride one of the most relaxing of the trip so far. Most of us treated it like a day off and took our time getting to Manitowoc. We stopped at a lighthouse on Lake Winnebago, took pictures of windfarms, and savored the cool breezes off of Lake Michigan.

Once in Manitowoc my brother Gary's wife, Lauri, picked us up and took us to her folk's farm just down the road where her Mom and Dad have a 10 acre apple orchard and a huge garden. They planned a picnic there where many of my relatives stopped by on their way home from our annual family reunion in Escanaba, MI. It was so great to see everyone again and share a fantastic meal as we sat outside surrounded by an apple orchard, flowers and gardens. I look forward to next summer when my girlfriend, Belle, and I can make next year's reunion.

Roadkill: 314
Flats: 4
Hurts: Left knee occassionally lets me know that it needs some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment